Friday, March 30, 2012

New Tool Fun

At the late Spring 2011 New York and Western Massachusetts annual Shop Hop, I acquired Kim Templin's Double Diamond Ruler. What a hoot I had creating the following pieces in a quick and easy manner!


The technique involves fusing two fabrics together (in the above piece- the green background and the orange and in the photo below- the green background and the red), then using the tool to cut angled slots which make the triangles which you then turn out to leave empty space below. That space is filled with backing fabric (purple above and the yellow below). Instructions and an entire gallery of ideas for how to use the Double Diamond Ruler can be found at Kim's Website and this link: How to Instructions.





This piece, which I call "Christmas Tree" Quilt #8769 is for sale at the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative Website (AAQI) under my $1000 Promise page.

 
Kim Templin's own donation, "Christmas Star" Quilt #9220 (seen above),  will be featured in the April AAQI Auction.  It, and all the other auction quilts can be found at the AAQI website: AAQI Auction  
Profits from the sale of all AAQI donated quilts go to fund Alzheimer's research projects. Since January 2006, the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative has raised over $704,000 for Alzheimer's research. The projects funded by the sale of these small quilts (all 9 by 12 inches or smaller) are detailed under the Research Tab on the AAQI Website.
Happy Bidding!


4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for mentioning the April auction. You can see all the quilts in this little video:

    http://youtu.be/B9FMwKKkOIM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw kim Templin's auction quilt and wondered how in the world she had made that! Now, I know! Thanks for that and for your darling little Christmas Tree for AAQI, or course! Too bad it missed the Christmas rush of purchases but some smart person will think ahead and be delighted to own this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing information about the Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative! I lost my Dad to Alzheimer’s in December of 2010 and have been committed to raising money for research through AAQI since he was diagnosed in 2006. I am a quilter and I applaud the fact that the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative is a grass roots organization that is totally staffed by volunteers so that every available dollar can be used to fund research. I love your little quilt and am thrilled that you have taken up our cause!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Ami, Michele and Beth. It's wonderful to be a part of the AAQI Community. I just love the discipline it gives me to finish something which will add to the good of the world. This blog was a gift to me over a year ago and I'm just thrilled to share my quilting and AAQI experiences with my readers. Happy Spring and Happy Quilting, Ladies.

    ReplyDelete