Tuesday, January 1, 2019


Old Father Time with his scythe, carrying in the New Year
Happy New Year!

My goals for myself have changed over the years when it comes to making and trying to keep New Year's Resolutions. 

Eat better! Exercise more! Save money! are constant "friends" (used lightly) who walk with me always, but now I'm more realistic about goals I can keep for more than 10 days. 

This year More Sailing!
I obviously need summer, non-frozen water, and warmer than 35degrees outside to make that happen.

Use Less Plastic!
This one I've prepared most for and am super excited about. We now have nice lunch bags, metal straws, beeswax sandwich wraps, tupperwares for salads, real silverware already in said lunch bag, and lots of travel mugs ready to go. Oh! I also have already put the grocery shopping bags IN the car!!! HA!

Lastly, More Quilting!
It's been awhile, so I decided to start where I always start and try again. Here is the scrap bin......

Yuck!
In December 2011 on this blog, I talked about this and started cutting up my stash. Inspired by Joan Ford's books, I'm ready again to scrap my way to beautiful new quilts. 

The idea is that if you cut your stash into 2", 3 1/2" and 5" squares, plus adding a focus fabric, you have endless possibilities for beautiful projects. My start of this is below......I'd love to show you how much progress I made on the bin, but I'm afraid it wouldn't translate in a photo. ;-)




I also dug into the UFO bin..............WOW! and they are all blue!


 My blue trees.............

 Oh! A new book all about blue and white quilts.........


The table runner I made for my 40th Birthday Quilt Show Extravaganza and Auction. 
Seems I have another one in the stash.


An unfinished pattern test which might make a lovely winter mantel runner.

A Jacob's Ladder table runner................

And finally this beautiful kit to make with our daughter......

I think I will be busy. Remembering that every morning has the power to be a new New Year's Day..... a poem from the public domain to inspire us all.
Happy quilting and happy living, Friends.
*****

New Year’s Morning

Only a night from old to new!
Only a night, and so much wrought!
The Old Year’s heart all weary grew,
But said: “The New Year rest has brought.”
The Old Year’s hopes its heart laid down,
As in a grave; but, trusting, said:
“The blossoms of the New Year’s crown
Bloom from the ashes of the dead.”
The Old Year’s heart was full of greed;
With selfishness it longed and ached,
And cried: “I have not half I need.
My thirst is bitter and unslaked.
But to the New Year’s generous hand
All gifts in plenty shall return;
True love it shall understand;
By all my failures it shall learn.
I have been reckless; it shall be
Quiet and calm and pure of life.
I was a slave; it shall go free,
And find sweet peace where I leave strife.”
Only a night from old to new!
Never a night such changes brought.
The Old Year had its work to do;
No New Year miracles are wrought.

Always a night from old to new!
Night and the healing balm of sleep!
Each morn is New Year’s morn come true,
Morn of a festival to keep.
All nights are sacred nights to make
Confession and resolve and prayer;
All days are sacred days to wake
New gladness in the sunny air.
Only a night from old to new;
Only a sleep from night to morn.
The new is but the old come true; 
Each sunrise sees a new year born.

1 comment: